Volunteer with Great White Sharks & Marine Conservation
A wonderful and exciting project that puts you working alongside a passionate team of marine biologists in Klein Baai, about two hours out of Cape Town. These shark specialists research the sharks migrating, feeding and behavioural habits by means of sightings, fin recognition and tagging. As a volunteer, you will work alongside our crew on a Shark diving boat and have the opportunity to work on the whale watching boat too. You will learn about shark behaviour as well as biology and conservation. The project is also involved in beach clean ups and placing fishing line bin disposal units along the coast as well as marine education. If you study Marine Biology there are more opportunities for you to get involved in the research aspects of the program. You should be 18 years or older and in good physical condition to join this project. You will be part of a small team of staff and volunteers and a willingness to help as well as good social skills are an advantage.
Day to day Routine:
This project is a minimum of 2 weeks
You can expect to be busy for 5 to 7 days each week with variable hours that can be affected by the tides and prevailing sea conditions.
As we rely on good weather conditions, we recommend staying for four weeks or more to gain the most benefit out of the program and to ensure you experience adequate sea time.
There may be occasional off days so should we not be at sea, in lectures or on a planned activity, then we will arrange a fun activity with hiking, snorkeling, beach walks, visiting caves, wine tasting, shopping in Hermanus and visiting a penguin colony being some of the options.
Making Your Way here:
The project is located in Kleinbaai, a small harbour town just over 2-hours drive from Cape Town in South Africa.
We have arrival dates for this project every Sunday throughout the year.
- You should aim to arrive in Cape Town on or before your chosen Sunday arrival date.
- You can arrive at any time of day and one of our team will be there to welcome you with a big ‘Via Volunteers’ sign when you land at Cape Town International Airport.
- We will then escort you to your pre-project accommodation at Ashanti Lodge.
- On Monday morning we will transfer you to Kleinbaai by minibus.
- When you arrive in Kleinbaai, one of the project team will be there to welcome you and help you get settled in.
- If you would like to stay in Cape Town city and do some tours, safaris or adventure activities, before or after your program then you can contact us Ashanti Travel Online.
During your time with the project you will stay at a large volunteer lodge which is equipped with four chalets. Each chalet has a bathroom, kitchen and living area, and houses between 4 to 6 volunteers.
Walking to the project’s main office is easy, quick and safe and will only take between 10 and 15min (1.2km).
Here are some useful things to know about the volunteer lodge:
- You can expect to be sharing with volunteers from around the world
- The lodge and chalets are fully furnished
- All bed linen is provided and washed regularly
- We provide some breakfast basics and a light lunch on board the boat. If you are doing other activities you may be responsible for your own lunch. Evening meals are at your own expense
- There is a Satellite TV and a DVD player
- You will have free Wi-Fi at the lodge (bring your laptop or phone)
- The lodge has a large swimming pool and garden
- The main house has a very spacious living area with a pool table & table tennis for entertainment
- There is also a communal indoor BBQ and kitchen area
- The water is safe to drink
- A laundry service is available on Mondays and Thursdays for your personal items at approximately R15 per kilo
- There is no safe at the lodge, but there is one in the main office if you want to store any valuables.
- Budgeting: Depending on your appetite and lifestyle, we suggest that you allow about £60 / U$100 per week for food, entertainment and other personal daily needs. If you like to eat out a lot or enjoy more than a few drinks you should allow for this too.
You can choose to do this project for anywhere between 2 and 8 week but we recommend a minimum of 4 weeks to get the most of it.