Cape Town is on the forefront when it comes to sustainability and consciousness. Therefore sustainability and preserving the environment is intertwined with our culture of hostelling/ running an accommodation place.
At Ashanti we believe in the sustainable future and we try our best to be as green and environmentally conscious as possible.
Since Ashanti is an accommodation provider we acknowledge the negative footprint we set on the environment. Therefore to minimize the effects on our planet we have taken the following steps.
- All around the world one million plastic bottles are purchased every minute and every year we use up to 5 trillion disposable plastic bags. On average 50% of the plastic we use is single use plastic and just ends up in the ocean and pollutes.
- Eco-bricks is the solution to the plastic waste. It’s simple. The small plastic waste is packed in a big plastic bottle and is used as an eco-brick for building. This way the brick can be re used over and over again and the plastic can come to good use in an environmental and friendly way.
- Here at Ashanti we contribute to this project and gather your plastic waste to create eco-bricks. We donate the eco-bricks to a eco-brick drop off site: https://ecobrickexchange.org/views/programs.php
- Do you want to contribute? Come by reception with your plastic waste and help us make the world a greener and try to restore the harmonious cycle of life.
- Recycling paper plays a big role in the environment and contributes to save trees from being cut down.
- Ashanti has within the last couple of years cut down their paper waste by 80% and manages to recycle the last paper waste. The paper waste goes to a local dog shelter where it’s being shredded and used for kennels at a dog shelter. For more information look here: http://darg.org.za
- In every room across Ashanti you will find power saving LED light bulb to cut energy consumption. In addition to this, we have installed light sensors in every bathroom and toilet to minimize the amount of electricity spend.
- In November 2016 we installed solar panels on the roof at both the main buildings and the guesthouse to provide electricity. This because as an accommodation place we use approximately 50% more energy than a residential block of the same size.
- We aim to rely 100% on this renewable energy by xxx?
- At Ashanti we have installed heat pumps to reduce the energy consumption and reduce CO2 emissions. Heat pumps are internationally recognized as eco friendly and can contribute to lowering the greenhouse emissions by between 200 and 400%.
- Since hot water is critical in our line of work to provide hot showers, clean laundry and hostel cleaning etc for our guests, we try to make it the most environmentally right as possible.
- Not only can the heat pump help generate hot water and heat up the place, it can also be used for the cooling system and thereby reducing the electricity consumption and the cost on separate stand alone air conditioning systems.
- A heat pump can save up to 67% of total energy consumption at a hostel by offering the most energy efficient way to both heat up and cool down a place by transferring heat from one location to another.
- We buy all our products locally to reduce transport pollution and to ensure quality and freshness. This way you’re helping to support the local community as well.