4 Day Walking and Sleep Out Safari Experience
A truly unique way to experience the African Bush, this tour sees you sleeping out under the stars in the African bush. Departing on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, you are collected from Johannesburg and brought to the greater Kruger area, where you will experience an evening game drive and a braai under the African sky. After dinner mattresses are provided and you will sleep around the camp fire. Today is spent on walking safaris with your armed rangers. Day three is an entire day’s game drive exploring the great Kruger National Park before setting up at our riverside camp for a good night’s rest. The next morning you will do a last walk along the river before hopping on your transport home. After a quick stop to see the beautiful Blyde River Canyon, you will be dropped off back in Johannesburg.
So if you like the idea of walking safaris and resting under the clear African sky, this unique budget safari is just the tour for you.
Johannesburg – Greater Kruger National Park
Collection from your hostel/hotel/airport by 09h00 and drive to our main Lodge. Sunset Drive on open Landcruiser and Bush BBQ at Marula Boma. After dinner sleep out on comfortable mattresses on an elevated platform overlooking a waterhole while listening to hyenas, lions and sounds of the African bush.
Greater Kruger National Park
Coffee and rusks and then a 2h walk before breakfast. Drive to our concession where we enjoy a 3h walk to the Olifants River. Drive to the lodge for lunch. After a rest and a swim, we go on a game drive, returning to Marula Boma for dinner and overnight.
Greater Kruger National Park – Kruger Park
Drive to our main lodge for breakfast. Full day Kruger Park safari on an open sided vehicle. Return to the lodge for dinner and overnight under the African stars.
Greater Kruger National Park – Kruger Park
Enjoy a 1h walk along the Klaserie River with an armed ranger. After breakfast, drive via the Three Rondawels of the Blyde River Canyon and return to Johannesburg at around 17h00.
This tour includes:
- Sunset Drive on Balule Big 5 Reserve
- Bush Braai
- Sleep out under the African stars for 3 nights
- Total of 8 hrs combined walking in 3 locations
- Full day in Kruger on open Gameviewer
- 1-hour Morning Walk along Klaserie River
- Scenic highlights of Blyde River Canyon including Three Rondawels
- 15 cm thick Mattresses, Sleeping bags and blankets will be provided.
- Armed Guard will ensure Guest Safety at night.
What to expect on the 4 day Sleep Out Walking Safari:
- On arrival at Marula Boma, you will receive a bag that contains a pillow, a sleeping bag, a towel, a blanket and insect repellent. Please look after this bag and return it to management at the lodge on the day you depart.
- There is a shower with hot water at Marula Boma and a soap dispenser is provided.
- We have a flush toilet.
- In the event of extreme weather, we may use a thatched room with 4 double bunks.
- Mattresses are placed on the platform. We can fit a maximum of 8 mattresses including one for the armed guard who accompanies you.
- From the platform there is an unobstructed 360 degree view of the bushveld – really impressive !
- There is a waterhole about 25 metres from the platform. Our guide has a strong torch and when we hear activity at the waterhole, he will illuminate the animal.
- Please be quiet as animals will avoid coming to the waterhole if there is excessive noise.
- There is no electricity at Marula Boma.
- On day two you go on an extended walk so you need good walking shoes and neutral coloured clothes. You return to the lodge for brunch. After brunch you can rest near the pool or at the bar where there is Wi-Fi. There are electric outlets where you can charge all electronic items. We have a shower available at the lodge designated for our sleep out guests.
- Your luggage can be stored in the office at the lodge.
- After a second walk in the afternoon, you return to Marula Boma for dinner and your second night on the platform.
- On day three you take all luggage and arrive at the lodge in time for breakfast. Today you are doing a full day safari on an open vehicle in Kruger. Your luggage and bag will be taken for you to the lodge. Tonight you sleep around a fire and will have a view of the illuminated dam. Again, should there be inclement weather, we have provided a covered room for your use. Hot water shower and flush toilets are located nearby.
- You will do another walk on the final day before breakfast and then proceed via the Blyde River Canyon to Johannesburg.