Artisan Food Tour
This day tour departs every Thursday, will show you all you want to know about Cape Town’s artisan food industry. Waking up with a coffee or tea before heading to the Company Gardens for a nice walk and end it with a tasting of homemade melk tart and rooibos tea. Next up we will walk to the Earth Fair Market at St George’s Mall, for a tasting of local treats (biltong or vegan wraps or one of the unique offerings of the local vendors!). After the tasting we will go to Woodstock for a craft beer tasting at Woodstock Brewery OR Gin tasting at Woodstock Gin Company. We also visit a chocolate factory for a tour and we will do a chocolate tasting in the Old Biscuit Mill. On every first Thursday of the month Cape Town art galleries stay open until late for the First Thursdays event and even if it isn’t a first Thursday you can end the day at the Hope Street Night Market or you could be dropped off at your accommodation.
Artisan Food Group Walking Tour
Join a group to explore the culinary delights of Cape Town and get to know the City on foot. Known as the “Rainbow Nation”, South Africa’s diverse culinary influences will be sampled as we visit local eateries and artisans. Stops can include the Company’s Gardens, established by the Dutch as a supply station between Europe and the East; the Bo Kaap, Cape Town’s colourful Cape Malay quarter; a local market; the trendy suburb of Woodstock, or the famous Bree Street, known as the place to be amongst local foodies. Your professional foodie tour guide will show you how to get around the City like a local, by both walking and taking public transport. Tastings vary from week to week, depending on what is available and in season.
- Meet at Once in Cape Town – Yours Truly Coffee, Kloof Street, for a welcome tea or coffee
- Walk to the Company’s Gardens, for a tasting of homemade melk tart and rooibos tea
- Walk to the Earth Fair Market at St George’s Mall, for a tasting of local treats (biltong or vegan wraps or one of the unique offerings of the local vendors!) Earth Fair Market is on Thursdays only.
- Walk down to the Adderly Street MyCiti Station, where the guide will show guests how to get around Cape Town like a local – taking the MyCiti bus to Woodstock! (tickets are pre-purchased and provided).
- Craft beer tasting at Woodstock Brewery OR Gin tasting at Woodstock Gin Company
- Explore the Old Biscuit Mill, with a chocolate tasting at Cocoa Fair
- Take the MyCiti bus back to town, for a Cape Malay lunch at Heritage Square
- Finish off with a walk through the Bo Kaap, visiting a famous spic shop and having a “koeksister” for dessert
Available: Thursdays only as a group tour; please enquire for private tours on other days.
Bring: comfortable walking shoes; sunscreen/hat or rain jacket, depending on weather.
Meeting point: Yours Truly coffee shop at Once in Cape Town, 73 Kloof Street, 10:00am. Look for the guide with a sign reading “Cape Food and Wine Tours”.
Duration: 10:00am until 4:00pm (approximately 6 hours)
Included: Services of a professional local foodie guide; bus tickets; 4-5 food tastings; light lunch.
Please eat breakfast as usual, as lunch will only be around 1:30pm.
Not recommended for children younger than 7, as the distance walked can be up to 5 kilometres over the course of the day.