Volunteer at Fikelela Children’s Home
Fikelela Children’s Home is located in the largest township of Cape Town: Khayelitsha. Fikelela provides a safe home for children aged between 0 and 8 years old that have been orphaned, abandoned, abused or neglected. The home has a capacity for 40 children at the moment.
The caring team at Fikelela is committed to reuniting the children with their families or if this isn’t possible, to place them into carefully screened foster homes. You will be helping trained teachers with prepared lessons twice a week. You will also help to assist the staff with folding laundry, serving food and preparing the children and babies for bath and bed time with a bedtime story.
To join this volunteering project you need to be 17 years old (with parental permission) or older. Emotional maturity is important as well as patience, flexibility and commitment.
Day to day Routine:
This project is a minimum of 4 weeks.
Your first visit to Fikelela Children’s Home will be on the first Monday after you arrive in Cape Town. We will take you through to Fikelela, introduce you to the team, and help you to settle into your volunteer cottage in Gordon’s Bay.
During the week your afternoon schedule might include the following activities.
Please remember that times and duties can vary at short notice as no day is exactly the same at Fikelela. You will need to be prepared to use your initiative if you find yourself at a loose end with no planned activities or duties:
- Arrive at Fikelela Children’s Home at about 2:30pm. This is a quieter time at the children’s home as the older children haven’t come back from school yet. During this time, you might help to fold washing, play with any babies that are awake or do any tasks that need doing at the time.
- When the children get back from school, you will help them to change out of their school uniform, assist with afternoon snacks, and get them ready for activities/play.
- On a Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, you will assist qualified volunteer teachers with the 3-8 year olds.
- On some days you will assist the doctor who checks on the children regularly.
- Playing with the children and doing activities that you have planned for them.
- Changing nappies (diapers).
- Assist the kitchen staff with meals and snacks as well as helping to clean up afterwards.
- Getting the older children washed, dressed and ready for bed.
- Reading to the children.
One of the Via Volunteers team will collect you from Fikelela at about 7:00pm and take you back to your volunteer accommodation in Gordon’s Bay.
On Fridays you should pack a small weekend bag before we collect you after lunch. When we collect you from Fikelela that evening at 18:00 we will take you through to Ashanti Backpackers for your weekend in Cape Town.
On Mondays we will collect you from Ashanti Backpackers before lunch and take you to Fikelela for your next shift. That evening we will take you back to your volunteer accommodation in Gordon’s Bay where your week will continue as normal.
You can expect to be busy from Monday to Thursday from about 2:30pm to 7:00pm, and on Friday from 2:30pm to 6:00pm.
The educational activities planned by the teachers for Wednesday and Thursday afternoons are structured to provide the children with a wide range of stimulus and learning opportunities, but there is always room for you to introduce your own ideas. If you would like some inspiration, lots of boards have been prepared for you on our Pinterest page with plenty of ideas for fun educational activities for children.
If you would like to book any activities or tours for your free time or weekends off, please contact Ashanti Travel Online. We can assist with day tours, safaris, adventure tours or even great treks through Africa.
During the week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday night):
You will stay at a comfortable Volunteer Cottage in Gordon’s Bay, less than 2 minutes’ walk from the beach, bars, restaurants, cafés, take-aways, shops, a library and a laundromat.
During the mornings (Tuesday-Friday) you will have time to visit Gordon’s Bay Beach or Bikini Beach, explore the local area, use free Wi-Fi to catch up with emails and social media, relax in the garden, visit local wine farms, go zip-lining in the mountains, or even go kayaking.
Your cottage has the following facilities:
- Two bedrooms can sleep a maximum of 5 volunteers (3 single beds and 1 double bed)
- Pillows, duvets and bed linen are provided (fresh linen weekly)as well as electric blankets for winter
- Wardrobe for clothes and shelves for storage
- Fully equipped kitchen with mini oven, kettle, toaster and microwave
- Shared shower and toilet facilities
- Free Wi-Fi
- Lounge area
- A lovely sheltered garden – ideal for relaxing, reading and having a braai
- A housekeeper cleans the cottage once each week.
Weekend accommodation (every Friday, Saturday & Sunday night):
As one of Cape Town’s best backpackers, Ashanti Lodge has excellent facilities and is perfectly positioned in central Cape Town as an ideal base for volunteers. This will be your ‘home from home’ over the weekends and is a great place to relax when you aren’t out exploring everything Cape Town has to offer.
Ashanti is just a couple of minutes away from the excellent MyCiti bus route which provides cheap, safe and reliable transport to Table Mountain, the V&A Waterfront, Camps Bay, Hout Bay and much more. Close by you will also find an incredible variety of restaurants and bars, plenty of great hangouts in Long Street, a well-equipped shopping mall, supermarkets, health shops, cafes…the list goes on.
While you’re at Ashanti you can enjoy all of the facilities below. Whether you’re having a dip in the pool, watching Table Mountain while you have breakfast, or booking an adventurous activity at the Travel Desk, you will find that Ashanti have thought of everything:
- Dormitory accommodation with all bedding and linen provided.
- Free Wi-fi from anywhere on the premises
- A fully equipped shared kitchen with fridge/freezers for storing your groceries
- All bedding including linen, duvet and pillows (linen is changed every four days)
- Laundry service – check with reception for price – load including powder, wash, dry & fold. Drop it off at reception and it will be ready for you about 12 hours later
- Lots of showers and toilets
- A lovely pool area with sun beds and a BBQ
- A restaurant bar with a pool table, and a balcony overlooking the pool with impressive views of Table Mountain. An all you can eat breakfast buffet is available (check with reception for price), with great value meals available through to 10pm
- A personal safe for every volunteer and coded access to your room
- Lockable under bed storage for your suitcase/clothing (bring your own padlock for this)
- CCTV Security, controlled access and a night guard
- A night manager
- The lodge is cleaned daily and rooms are also serviced daily.
Making your Way Here:
Fikelela Children’s Home is located in Khayelitsha township about a 30-minute drive from the centre of Cape Town, and just 25 minutes from Gordon’s Bay. During each week, we will accommodate you in a volunteer cottage in Gordon’s Bay. Over the weekends we will accommodate you in Ashanti Lodge, one of South Africa’s best backpackers in Cape Town city centre.
We have arrival dates for this project every Friday throughout the year.
- You should aim to arrive in Cape Town on or before your chosen Friday arrival dateYou can arrive at any time of day and one of our team will be there to welcome you with a big ‘Via Volunteers’ sign when you land at Cape Town International Airport
- We will then escort you to your weekend accommodation at Ashanti Lodge.
- On Monday we will settle you into your volunteer cottage in Gordon’s Bay and take you to Fikelela for your first afternoon with the children.
It’s easy to add extra nights to your stay, so if you find a cheaper flight that arrives earlier than your chosen Friday arrival date just let us know. You can also add extra nights after your placement for the same reason.