Volunteer at St. George’s Home for Girls
St. George’s Home for Girls offers a safe place for girls in need. The home has room for 40 girls between the ages of 3 and 18, who are orphaned, abandoned, abused or neglected. The mission of St. George’s is to provide a loving, warm and caring home for the girls with a care-taking environment that will encourage their emotional, social, educational and spiritual needs.
To become confident women St. George’s provides specialised education and care and trained caregivers empower the girls with life skills within a safe and secure environment. Prepared through these vital tools, the young woman are able to leave the St. George’s and make a contribution to society.
You as a volunteer will have a mentoring role to the young girls. You will also help with homework, fun activities, outings and much more. All participants must be over 18 and in good physical condition.
Day To Day Routine:
Your first visit to St. George’s Home for Girls will be on the Monday after you arrive in Cape Town.
On your first day, one of the team will collect you from Ashanti Lodge and take you to St. George’s Home for Girls. On other days, you will need to book a taxi/Uber to get you there and back. This will be at your own cost.
You will then be introduced to Graeme at St. Georges for your introduction to the girls and the project.
Make sure you eat lunch before you leave your accommodation each day, or prepare a packed lunch to take with you.
Typically you can expect to be busy from about 2:00pm – 6:00pm. There may be opportunities to help out with events and activities over weekends too, and you will be able to talk with Graeme to arrange any time off or changes to your schedule.
Your afternoons will normally begin with helping to prepare food and snacks in the kitchen. As the girls arrive home from school you will be able to help them with homework, reading and fun activities. Be prepared to bring your own ideas along, and perhaps explore sites like Pinterest in advance for some extra help. Be creative and let your imagination go wild!
Every afternoon, a taxi will be waiting outside the main entrance at 6:00pm to transfer you back to Ashanti Lodge.
Throughout your stay you are encouraged to tell the girls your story and let them know what you did at school, where you have travelled to, where you normally work, what your interests are, and the things you would still like to do. As a positive role model, your story will encourage these girls to work hard to improve their lives and inspire them to look beyond the unfortunate circumstances of their childhood.
If you would like to book any activities or tours for your free time or weekends off, please contact Ashanti Travel Online. We can assist with day tours, safaris, adventure tours or even great treks through Africa.
As one of Cape Town’s best backpackers, Ashanti Lodge has excellent facilities and is perfectly positioned in central Cape Town as an ideal base for volunteers. This will be your home while you’re here and is a great place to relax when you aren’t out exploring everything Cape Town has to offer.
Ashanti is just a couple of minutes away from the excellent MyCiti bus route which provides cheap, safe and reliable transport to Table Mountain, the V&A Waterfront, Camps Bay, Hout Bay and much more. Close by you will also find an incredible variety of restaurants and bars, plenty of great hangouts in Long Street, a well-equipped shopping mall, supermarkets, health shops, cafes…the list goes on.
While you’re at Ashanti you can enjoy all of the facilities below. Whether you’re having a dip in the pool, watching Table Mountain while you have breakfast, or booking an adventurous activity at the Travel Desk, you will find that Ashanti have thought of everything:
- Dormitory accommodation with all bedding and linen provided.
- Free Wi-Fi from anywhere on the premises
- A fully equipped shared kitchen with fridge/freezers for storing your groceries
- All bedding including linen, duvet and pillows (linen is changed every four days)
- Laundry service – check with reception for price including powder, wash, dry & fold. Drop it off at reception and it will be ready for you about 12 hours later
- Lots of showers and toilets
- A lovely pool area with sun beds and a BBQ
- A restaurant bar with a pool table, and a balcony overlooking the pool with impressive views of Table Mountain. An all you can eat breakfast buffet is available (check with reception for price), with great value meals available through to 10pm
- A personal safe for every volunteer and coded access to your room
- Lockable under bed storage for your suitcase/clothing (bring your own padlock for this)
- CCTV Security, controlled access and a night guard
- A night manager
- The lodge is cleaned daily and rooms are also serviced daily.
Making your way there:
St. Georges Home for Girls is located in Wynberg close to Cape Town about a 20 minute drive from Ashanti Lodge.
We have arrival dates for this project every Friday throughout the year:
- You should aim to arrive in Cape Town on or before your chosen Friday arrival date
- You can arrive at any time of day and one of our team will be there to welcome you with a big ‘Via Volunteers’ sign when you land at Cape Town International Airport
- We will then escort you to your accommodation at Ashanti Lodge in Cape Town
- You will have the rest of the weekend to begin exploring everything Cape Town has to offer
- On Monday we will take you to the home for your first afternoon with the children.
It’s easy to add extra nights to your stay, so if you find a cheaper flight that arrives earlier than your Friday arrival date just let us know. You can also add extra nights after your placement for the same reason.