Volunteer at a Children’s Hospital- Daily Play Sessions
Volunteer at a Children’s Hospital doing daily play sessions and give young and sick kids a smile on their faces. The Children’s Hospital is the largest, stand-alone tertiary pediatric hospital dedicated exclusively to children in Sub-Saharan Africa. During their stay in hospital, sick children are often miles away from their families at home. They are alone and they can use some company or a friend to play with. This is where you come in. As a volunteer, you will interact with the patients through all sorts of activities. You will play with the children, build puzzles with them, read to them etc. All these things will help to take their minds off their situation. Playing promotes socialization, learning, growth and development and of course fun and relaxation.
This role requires emotional maturity and discretion. Personal characteristics like patience, flexibility and commitment are important when working with the children. All participants must be aged 18 years or older.
Weekends are spent in Cape Town at Ashanti Lodge where you can enjoy all that the city has to offer.
Day To Day Routine:
This project is a minimum of 1 week.
Your first visit to the hospital will be on the first Monday after you arrive in Cape Town.
On your first day, one of the team will collect you from Ashanti Lodge @ 08:30 and take you to the hospital. On other days, you will need to book a taxi/Uber to get there and back. This will be at your own cost.
We will introduce you to the Friends of the Children’s Hospital volunteer coordinator who will help you to settle in with a warm welcome and a tour of the wards. She will get you started soon after and provide you with a provisional schedule for the week ahead.
You will be provided with an apron and name badge to wear while you are in the hospital.
From Monday to Friday your daily routine will see you helping out from 09:00 to approximately 12:15. There is a 20 minute tea & biscuit break at about 10:30.
You will often need to be able to act on your own initiative as the volunteers need to choose how to entertain the children by checking their age, gender, level of illness etc. We suggest that you bring your computer along so that you can entertain the children with appropriate movies which you can download before you arrive. This is especially so in the burn unit as the children there find it very difficult to move around as they are in lots of pain.
A taxi will be waiting outside the main entrance at 12:30 to transfer you back to Ashanti Lodge, which is about a 10-minute drive.
If you would like to book any activities or tours for your free time or weekends off, please contact Ashanti Travel Online. We can assist with day tours, safaris, adventure tours or even great treks through Africa.
As one of Cape Town’s best backpackers, Ashanti Lodge has excellent facilities and is perfectly positioned in central Cape Town as an ideal base for volunteers. This will be your home while your’re here and is a great place to relax when you aren’t out exploring everything Cape Town has to offer.
Ashanti is just a couple of minutes away from the excellent MyCiti bus route which provides cheap, safe and reliable transport to Table Mountain, the V&A Waterfront, Camps Bay, Hout Bay and much more. Close by you will also find an incredible variety of restaurants and bars, plenty of great hangouts in Long Street, a well-equipped shopping mall, supermarkets, health shops, cafes… the list goes on.
While you’re at Ashanti you can enjoy all of the facilities below. Whether you’re having a dip in the pool, watching Table Mountain while you have breakfast, or booking an adventurous activity at the Travel Desk, you will find that Ashanti have thought of everything:
- Dormitory accommodation with all bedding and linen provided.
- Free Wi-Fi from anywhere on the premises
- A fully equipped shared kitchen with fridge/freezers for storing your groceries
- All bedding including linen, duvet and pillows (linen is changed every four days)
- Laundry service – check with reception for price including powder, wash, dry & fold. Drop it off at reception and it will be ready for you about 12 hours later
- Lots of showers and toilets
- A lovely pool area with sun beds and a BBQ
- A restaurant bar with a pool table, and a balcony overlooking the pool with impressive views of Table Mountain. An all you can eat breakfast buffet (check with reception for price), with great value meals available through to 10pm
- A personal safe for every volunteer and coded access to your room
- Lockable under bed storage for your suitcase/clothing (bring your own padlock for this)
- CCTV Security, controlled access and a night guard
- A night manager
- The lodge is cleaned daily and rooms are also serviced daily.
Making your way here:
The Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital is located in Cape Town about a 10 minute drive from Ashanti Lodge.
We have arrival dates for this project every Friday throughout the year.
- You should aim to arrive in Cape Town on or before your chosen Friday arrival date
- You can arrive at any time of day and one of our team will be there to welcome you with a big ‘Via Volunteers’ sign when you land at Cape Town International Airport
- We will then escort you to your accommodation at Ashanti Lodge in Cape Town
- You will have the rest of the weekend to begin exploring everything Cape Town has to offer
- On Monday morning we will take you to the hospital for your first morning with the children.
It’s easy to add extra nights to your stay, so if you find a cheaper flight that arrives earlier than your chosen Friday arrival date just let us know. You can also add extra nights after your placement for the same reason.