Volunteer at Baphumelele Children’s Home
Baphumelele Children’s Home is located in Cape town’s largest township, Khayelitsha. The home was started back in 1989 and is only 30 minutes from Cape Town city. Rosalia Mashale, a local resident and primary school teacher was upset at seeing the young children of the area left alone on the street during the day, while parents were out looking for work. Her response was to take the children into her own home and care for them with the help of some of the other local woman. Today the home supervises 85 children. Baphumelele Children’s Home has also created a safe place for orphaned, abandoned or abused children. You will be assisting nurses, care workers and teachers with educational activities, helping with meals and feeding as well as other day to day tasks, including cleaning and sorting. This role requires compassion, commitment, patience and an ability to use your initiative. All participants must be over 18 and in good physical condition. Weekends are spent at Ashanti Lodge in the city where you can enjoy all that Cape Town has to offer.
Day to day Routine:
This project is a minimum of 4 weeks.
Volunteers normally arrive in Cape Town on a Friday so you will have the weekend to relax at Ashanti Lodge and start exploring Cape Town.
Your first visit to Baphumelele Children’s Home will be on the first Monday after you arrive in Cape Town.
One of our team will collect you from Ashanti Lodge every Monday at 10:00 and take you to the V&A Waterfront where you will have about an hour to do your grocery shopping. From there we will take you to Baphumelele. We will introduce you to the team on your first afternoon there and help you settle into the our flat.
On Mondays you will help out from 2pm through to 7pm. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday you will be helping out from 9am through to 7pm with about a 2 hour lunch break. On Friday you will be helping out from 9am through to about 12 noon or 6pm. Volunteering hours are variable, so please be prepared to be flexible to the needs of the children and the home. Some days will see you starting earlier than 9am, and other days will see you finishing later than 7pm.
Please remember that times and duties can vary at short notice as no day is exactly the same at Baphumelele. You will need to be prepared to use your initiative if you find yourself at a loose end with no planned activities or duties.
During your stay you can expect to be helping out with the following activities:
- Assisting with and coming up with fun educational activities and games
- Assisting children with homework
- Helping the staff in the kitchen with preparing food, serving and feeding the young ones
- Developmental play with the babies and toddlers
- Assisting at the Educare Centre
- Life skills sessions with the older children
- Cleaning and sorting
Every Friday, one of the our team will collect you from Baphumelele at either about 12 noon or 6:15pm and take you back to Ashanti Lodge for your weekend off.
If you would like to book any activities or tours for your free time or weekends off, please contact Ashanti Travel Online. We can assist with day tours, safaris, adventure tours or even great treks through Africa.
Weekend accommodation (every Friday, Saturday & Sunday night):
As one of Cape Town’s best backpackers, Ashanti Lodge has excellent facilities and is perfectly positioned in central Cape Town as an ideal base for volunteers. This will be your home while you’re here and is a great place to relax when you aren’t out exploring everything Cape Town has to offer.
Ashanti is just a couple of minutes away from the excellent MyCiti bus route which provides cheap, safe and reliable transport to Table Mountain, the V&A Waterfront, Camps Bay, Hout Bay and much more. Close by you will also find an incredible variety of restaurants and bars, plenty of great hangouts in Long Street, a well-equipped shopping mall, supermarkets, health shops, cafes…the list goes on.
While you’re at Ashanti you can enjoy all of the facilities below. Whether you’re having a dip in the pool or watching Table Mountain while you have breakfast, you will find that Ashanti have thought of everything:
- Dormitory accommodation with all bedding and linen provided.
- Free Wi-Fi from anywhere on the premises
- A fully equipped shared kitchen with fridge/freezers for storing your groceries
- All bedding including linen, duvet and pillows (linen is changed every four days)
- Laundry service – wash, dry & fold. Drop it off at reception and it will be ready for you about 12 hours later. Check with reception for price.
- Lots of showers and toilets
- A lovely pool area with sun beds and a BBQ
- A restaurant bar with a pool table, and a balcony overlooking the pool with impressive views of Table Mountain. An all you can eat breakfast buffet is available (Check with reception for price), with great value meals available through to 10pm
- A personal safe for every volunteer and coded access to your room
- Lockable under bed storage for your suitcase/clothing (bring your own padlock for this)
- CCTV Security, controlled access and a night guard
- A night manager
- The lodge is cleaned daily and rooms are also serviced daily.
On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday night:
You will stay in our dedicated volunteer flat at Baphumelele Children’s Home. This basic but comfortable accommodation has the following facilities:
- Two shared bedrooms with 2 beds in one and four beds in the other
- A bathroom with a toilet, bath, basin and shower fixture
- Mattress covers, pillows and blankets are are provided, but you will need your own pillow cases and sleeping bag
- A small kitchen area with an oven, microwave, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster and a selection of pots, pans, crockery, cutlery and utensils.
- You and your fellow volunteers are expected to keep the flat clean and tidy. Please note that Khayelitsha is built on what used to be a sand dune, so the flat tends to get dusty very quickly.
Making your Way Here:
Baphumelele Children’s Home is located in Khayelitsha about a 20 minute drive from the centre of Cape Town.
We have arrival dates for this project on alternate Fridays throughout the year.
- You should aim to arrive in Cape Town on or before your chosen Friday arrival date
- You can arrive at any time of day and one of our team will be there to welcome you with a big ‘Via Volunteers’ sign when you land at Cape Town International Airport
- We will then escort you to your accommodation at Ashanti Lodge in Cape Town
- You will have the rest of the weekend to begin exploring everything Cape Town has to offer
- On Monday morning we will take you to Baphumelele for your first week with the children.
- It’s easy to add extra nights to your stay, so if you find a cheaper flight that arrives earlier than your chosen Friday arrival date just let us know. You can also add extra nights after your placement for the same reason.